Thursday, March 20, 2008

three years in America ...

Almost three years now
Three lost years of a lifetime in America
And I am yet to reclaim myself
I still have my accent
I still wear kohl in my eyes
Almost as if in denial
of a life that I am living

What brought me here
The promises, maybe
What else, I wonder

A piece of bread, a slice of memories
A cup of chai, brewed hard
just like at home
just like all my attempts of creating a homeland
I keep trying
But my one-room apartment is so American
the wallpapers, the wooden floors, the smoke alarms
I give up now and then

Of course it is a wretched life
But I continue on
Every now and then, I start to pack my bags
All the time, I put off buying new plates
The old ones are chipping off
I am going back, I tell myself
Just a few days more

And I wait
And I hope
And I continue

3 comments:

Quasimodo said...

So are you still thinking about going home?

chinki said...

yes ... because this is not home

Sabarmati View said...

very heart-warming...resonates with those still longing for a slice of home